Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Creating and Sharing

    This past week, I've been finishing up my reading and exploring some media creation websites to try and decide how I want to share my inquiry work. I explored some of the suggested websites, and took a look at ALA's 2014 list of recommended sites as well, to see if any of them jumped out at me.

    I didn't really feel inspired by Prezi or Glogster. Since my inquiry project is about boys' literacy, I want my presentation to be visual and eye-catching...the sort of thing that would draw boys' attention. Easel.ly was quickly a front runner; I love infographics and was really excited about the idea of creating one. However, when I played around with the creation tools a bit, I didn't feel like they left enough room for creativity, and I was also disappointed to note that the site was set up to allow publishing only a one-page infographic at a time. I don't think one page would be enough to present all the information I want to discuss.
 
    Pixton seemed extremely fun, and would be a great way to discuss the popularity of graphic novels among boys. I seriously considered presenting my findings in comic form, as I think it would be in keeping with the spirit of my research, but ultimately since this presentation will be for my peers I would rather try a format that looks a bit more adult and professional. Were I presenting this in a class, for children (or even for teachers perhaps), I would probably reconsider Pixton.

    In the end, I think the best tool for my presentation is PowToon, one of ALA's recommended sites. It seems simple to use, and the example presentations range from extremely professional to suitable for use in K-12 classrooms. The animated video format is eye-catching and fun and again keeps with the spirit of boys' literature: visual, action-packed, and dramatic. So far, I've only been through the tutorials, but I feel I already have a good sense of how the creation tools work, and I'm looking forward to starting my video soon. I've experimented with Photoshop and other visual design tools before, but I've never really tried video editing or animation, so I think this will be both a fun and educational experience for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment