Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A Conversation and A Challenge

I had dinner with my best friend this evening. She got engaged in February and is now preparing to be a stepmother to three kids: two boys aged 8 and 11, and a 7-year old girl. Over fondue, she told me that Brayden, the middle child, is struggling with reading. Apparently he's below the reading level that he should be at in second grade and his parents and teacher are having trouble finding books for him to read that are at his level but not condescendingly so. I tried to suggest some books I'd heard of, but had the same trouble I always had with this question as a librarian.

This conversation renewed my determination to study this topic. Brayden is a cool kid - very hands-on, loves to fish and mow the lawn and help his grandfather fix things - and I'd like to meet the challenge of helping him do better in school. One of the added goals of this inquiry will be presenting my friend with a better list of book recommendations at the end of the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment